How To Make Tamales
Check out Chef Cesar’s culinary demo as he prepares homemade tamales and walks you through the history of this delicious dish! Please see below for recipe!
Pork Tamales Recipe:
1 8lb tub of prepared masa
4 lbs boneless pork butt
1 pkg corn husks (soaked in warm water until soft)
¼ tsp cumin
6 cloves of garlic
10 dried guajillo peppers (Soak in hot water)
1 pinch of dried oregano
¼ tsp black pepper
1/4 yellow onion cut into small diced
1 Tbsp. salt
1 ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Lightly trim the fat off the pork, and then cut into 1- 2 inch cubes. In a large pot, place the pork cover with cold water add 3 cloves of garlic and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and skim the surface as needed. Add 1 tbsp. of salt cook for about 1 hour or until tender.
2. In the meantime puree the peppers with about ½ of the soaking liquid, cumin, remaining garlic cloves, oregano, onion, black pepper. Strain in a fine colander.
3. Once the meat is cooked drain the liquid, in a deep sauce pan add the vegetable oil on medium heat. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes, add the pepper puree. Bring to a boil, once boiling reduce the heat a let it simmer for about ½ hour add salt to taste.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the masa and whip until is light and fluffy.
5. Pat the corn husks dry and, using your hands, add 4 tablespoons of masa – to the center of the smooth, concave side of one of the corn husks with the tapered facing away from you. Spread it out in the center. Place 2 tablespoons of the pork filling in the center of the masa then fold the sides of the masa around it so the pork is completely cover.
Fold the tapered end of the husk over, toward the bottom. Repeat with the remaining husks.
6. Steam the tamales with the bottom of the husk facing down for about 45 minutes or until the masa releases from the husk.
Please be sure to check out our recent demos!
Culinary Demo – Hors d’oeuvres
Sweet Onion Rings Culinary Demo
Ratatouille Nicoise Culinary Demo
To learn more about our programs, contact us at (877) 452-5489 or [email protected]