Ratatouille Nicoise Culinary Demo
Check out Chef Mark’s culinary demo! The Chef will demonstrate how to make Ratatouille Nicoise by using Escoffier’s classic techniques. Below is a list of topics that Chef Mark Dolwing will cover in detail:
- How to select the best eggplant
- How to cut and pre prep the other vegetables
- How to use as a stew, soup, pasta sauce or for bruschetta
- What can be done with the best vegetables from a seasonal garden
- Wine pairing featuring Cupcake Wine
Ratatouille Nicoise Recipe
In the style of Nice, France where Auguste Escoffier lived and worked.
2 1/2 lb vine ripened tomatoes
8 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
20 fresh basil leaves, large chiffonade cut
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp. Capers (optional)
2 lb eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
2 large onions (1 1/2 lb total), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 assorted bell peppers (green, red, and/or yellow; 1 1/2 lb total), cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium zucchini (2 lb), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick pieces
1-2 tbsp. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Garnish: Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings and fresh basil
- Cut an x mark on the bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch in a 5-quart pot of boiling water for barely a minute
- Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and transfer to a 5-quart heavy pot with garlic, parsley, basil, and 1/3 cup oil. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes dissolve and sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, toss eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large colander and let stand in sink 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook onions in 3 tablespoons oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, then add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook bell peppers with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers with slotted spoon to bowl with onions. Add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer zucchini with slotted spoon to bowl with other vegetables.
- While zucchini are cooking, pat eggplant dry with paper towels. Add remaining oil (about 1/4 cup) to skillet and cook eggplant over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add vegetables, remaining teaspoon salt, and black pepper to tomato sauce and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool, uncovered, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Please be sure to check out our recent demos!
Brie En Croute Recipe
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
To learn more about our programs, contact us at (877) 452-5489 or [email protected]