Ratatouille Nicoise Culinary Demo
Check out Chef Mark’s culinary demo! The Chef will demonstrate how to make Ratatouille Nicoise by using Escoffier’s classic techniques. Below is a list of topics that Chef Mark Dolwing will cover in detail:
- How to select the best eggplant
- How to cut and pre prep the other vegetables
- How to use as a stew, soup, pasta sauce or for bruschetta
- What can be done with the best vegetables from a seasonal garden
- Wine pairing featuring Cupcake Wine
Ratatouille Nicoise Recipe
In the style of Nice, France where Auguste Escoffier lived and worked.
2 1/2 lb vine ripened tomatoes
8 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
20 fresh basil leaves, large chiffonade cut
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp. Capers (optional)
2 lb eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
2 large onions (1 1/2 lb total), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 assorted bell peppers (green, red, and/or yellow; 1 1/2 lb total), cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium zucchini (2 lb), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick pieces
1-2 tbsp. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Garnish: Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings and fresh basil
- Cut an x mark on the bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch in a 5-quart pot of boiling water for barely a minute
- Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and transfer to a 5-quart heavy pot with garlic, parsley, basil, and 1/3 cup oil. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes dissolve and sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, toss eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large colander and let stand in sink 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook onions in 3 tablespoons oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, then add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook bell peppers with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers with slotted spoon to bowl with onions. Add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer zucchini with slotted spoon to bowl with other vegetables.
- While zucchini are cooking, pat eggplant dry with paper towels. Add remaining oil (about 1/4 cup) to skillet and cook eggplant over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add vegetables, remaining teaspoon salt, and black pepper to tomato sauce and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool, uncovered, and serve warm or at room temperature.
To learn more about our programs, contact us at (877) 452-5489 or [email protected]