Top Chef Star Tops All Celebrity Wedding Cakes
Students taking online pastry courses, take note: Stephanie Izard, owner of Chicago’s Girl and the Goat and the celebrated winner of Top Chef’s fourth season, married her longtime boyfriend Gary Valentine in early October. The menu was fit for an executive chef and a craft beer consultant: braised short ribs, black cod roasted to perfection and all the fine beer you can drink. The pièce de résistance, however, was the one-of-a-kind cake from the eclectic imagination of Izard’s right hand man – The Girl and the Goat’s pastry chef Mathew Rice.
The wedding, which was held at Chicago’s Bridgeport Art Center, had a spectacular menu that everyone loved, but nothing pleased Izard’s family and friends like the special cake. The confectionery masterpiece featured a layer of strawberry Nesquik and chocolate marble that was expertly covered in bacon buttercream frosting.
As if this wasn’t enough to send you straight to the nearest pastry store, the second layer was a sugary creation made with chocolate ganache, peanut butter, and most importantly, chocolate-covered Cheez-Its.
Runners up for the most amazing wedding cakes are:
- Tamra Barney of the Real Housewives of Orange County served guests a $2,500 lemon cake that was presented on a suspended platform and featured six tiers, a quilt design and edible diamonds.
- Hollywood “it” couple Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’s enormous sour cream and vanilla wedding cake also had peach apricot reserves and earl grey milk chocolate buttercream.
- Before Kanye West entered the picture, Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries enjoyed a 6-foot tall chocolate and vanilla cake that was studded with chocolate chips.
- Shannon Doherty had a five-tier red velvet and white chocolate cake filled to the brim with raspberry preserves and cream cheese frosting.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton’s eight-tier fruit cake covered in white frosting, although royal, still would not beat Izard’s cake.