4th of July Sugar Cookie Fruit Tart
The dessert of all Independence Day desserts, this star-spangled tart is everything you could ever want and more. A little sweet, a little sour and a whole lot of delicious, even the world’s biggest dessert hater couldn’t stay away from this recipe. The sugar cookie crust is balanced with a slightly tangy filling for a combination that isn’t too overwhelming to the palate. Serve it with some fresh berries, star shaped cookies and whipped cream for a grand finale everyone will remember. You can thank this online culinary school later!
Watch Now: How To Make a 4th of July Sugar Cookie Fruit Tart
Sugar Cookie Crust
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon zest
¼ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Granulated sugar for cookie garnish
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup sour cream
½ tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
Fresh berries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Generously grease a 10 inch circular tart pan.
2. For the cookie dough—combine sugar and butter in the bowl of a standing mixer and cram together until fluffy on medium speed. Scrape down the side as needed. Add flour, lemon zest, milk and vanilla and continue to beat at low speed until well combined. Set aside half the dough to be used for the sugar cookie garnish.
3. With floured hands, press one half of the cookie dough into the greased pan, keeping a ¼ inch consistency all the way through. Pinch tops uniformly for a “tart” look.
4. Once tart crust is ready, roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface and, using a small star cutter, cut out a number of cookies to be used for garnish and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. You can cut out more to be served on the side as well!
5. Place tart pan and cookie sheet in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until both are a golden brown color. Cookies should take approximately 5 minutes so be sure to keep an eye while baking. When ready, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
6. While cookie crust and cookies are cooling, make the filling. Combine condensed milk, sour cream, lemon peel and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and stir until the mixture has thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Cover and chill in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before assembling tart.
7. Once crust has cooled and filling has chilled, it’s time to assemble the tart. Gently remove the crust from the tart pan and place on a flat, sturdy surface. Using care, spoon the filling into the crust, smoothing as you go. Once crust is full, smooth out top and garnish with the berries and star cookies. Let chill for at least 60 additional minutes. Serve!
Get inspired with these 4th of July recipes!