Baked Alaska Pastry Demo
Join Chef Susie’s online pastry class and learn how to prepare a heart-shaped baked Alaska for two, perfect for Valentine’s day! Please see below for recipe!
Assembling the Baked Alaska:
1. Line desired pan with plastic wrap
2. Line the bottom and sides with the sponge cake**
3. Fill with desired ice cream flavors, in the webcast I used vanilla, chocolate , raspberry and coffee
4. Cover the top with sponge cake, freeze for about 3 hours
5. Cover with meringue using a piping bag with a star tip or a spatula**
6. Brown the meringue with a kitchen torch, under a broiler of in a 500 degree oven until golden brown.
7. Serve or store in the freezer
Sponge for Baked Alaska:
½ cup egg yolks
1 ½ oz. sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
2 oz. cake flour sifted
¼ cup egg whites
1 ½ oz. sugar
*Buttercream icing, powdered sugar for dusting
1. Wisk the egg yolks and sugar until light in color, add the oil. Gently fold in the cake flour and set aside.
2. Whip the egg whites to a soft peak and gently fold into the batter mixture. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and carefully spread the mixture over the parchment.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until the cake starts to brown. Cool and dust with powdered sugar. Cut in desired shapes for Baked Alaska.
Meringue for the Baked Alaska:
1 cup egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¾ cup granulated sugar
1. Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar and ½ of the sugar on medium speed until thick. Add the remaining sugar and whip on high-speed until the mixture has a stiff peak.
2. Cover the Baked Alaska and brown
To learn more about our programs, contact us at (877) 452-5489 or [email protected]