How To Make Seafood Paella
If you’re looking for a dish that wows, look no further than paella. This traditional Spanish dish is overflowing with gorgeous flavor and it’s pretty easy on the eyes too. Often eaten as a buffet style meal, a big pot of seafood paella leaves more time for actually enjoying your meal time. By throwing in clams, mussels, scallops and/or shrimp, you get all the great seafood flavors along with the rice and vegetables. Meats can also be added, like chorizo, chicken or beef. This dish is so good, it’s actually widely regarded as the National dish of Spain and is often said to be a large part of the country’s cultural and culinary identity.
Follow along with our online culinary school chef as he shows you how to make a delicious seafood paella. This recipe has everything you could want in an impressive dinner and more!
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp saffron
48 oz chicken stock
1 cup of water
2 bay leafs
1 tsp dry thyme
10 jumbo shrimp
4 skinned, boned chicken thighs cut in quarters
2 links Spanish chorizo or kielbasa, cut into ½ inch slices
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 tsp paprika
3 cups Arborio or short grain rice
1 cup frozen green peas
Salt & pepper
1. Mix the chopped parsley and lemon juice; set aside
4. Heat chicken stock and water
2. Add olive oil to the pan, heat oil and add garlic sautéed for a minute without letting the garlic brown too much. Add chicken pieces and sausage sautéed for about 3 minutes.
3. Add peppers, onions, green peas, bay leafs and thyme; let it cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add paprika, saffron, seasonings and chopped tomatoes; stir all the ingredients to combine.
5. Add rice and chicken stock and stir very well to combine all the ingredients; add the lemon juice and parsley mixture.
6. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes; then place the mussels, clams and shrimp over the top, and cook until the shells open about 5 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and cover with a towel and let it stand for 10 minutes, so that all the liquid is absorbed.