German Chocolate Whoopie Pie Recipe
Escoffier Online held a pastry contest where our online students were asked to submit a Valentine’s Day themed baking and pastry related dessert or bread. The winner of the contest was pastry student, Janet Lee Scott, who created delicious german chocolate whoopie pies.
We wanted to share Janet’s accomplishment by having one of our chef mentors prepare her exact recipe she submitted. Follow along with Chef Susie Wolak as she recreates Janet’s recipe!
German Cholocate Whoopie Pie Recipe
1- 4 oz pkg baker’s German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water, boiling
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp real vanilla extract
2 cup flour, all-purpose
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
4 large egg yolks
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp
7 oz. baker’s angel flake coconut
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
Preheat oven at 350
Prepare cupcake pans
- Break up chocolate, place in your 1/2 cup boiling water to melt, whisk until blended and set aside to cool.
- In your standing mixer, using the paddle attachment, add the softened butter and cream until smooth then add the sugar.
- On medium to low speed, gradually beat in egg yolks one at a time making sure to scrape down the sides.
- Stir the vanilla in with your chocolate and add to your mixing bowl. Mix on medium to low just until blended. Scrape your sides again.
- Sift flour, soda and salt. blend in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk. Starting and ending with flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form then gently fold into batter.
- Place two tablespoons of batter in each section of your cupcake pans and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let these cool on a bakers rack before frosting and decorating
- Beat egg yolks with a whisk into your milk and vanilla until completely incorporated.
- Blend in your sugar and butter.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add your pecans and coconut, mix well and let cool before frosting.
- The tops of the mini cakes will be your centers.
- Coat one generously and place the other on top. Press gently.
- Roll sideways on a plate with red candy sprinkles to coat.
- Continue doing this until all are finished.
Make a chocolate ganache at a 1:1 ratio, while it’s still warm carefully spoon on top of your whoopie pies allowing it to drizzle down the sides.
You can be creative here with so many options.
Top with a cherry or cherry candy, garnish with a pretty mint leaf.
Subscribe to the blog and stay up to date with Escoffier Online, industry news and the newest cooking trends!