How To Make A Pumpkin Spice Cake Roll
If you have the pumpkin craze like we do, you just can’t get enough of it, whatever form it may come in. Coffee, cookies, lattes, doughnuts: when it comes to pumpkin spiced, we’re all in. Which is why we dreamed up this delicious cake roll teaming with autumn flavors and filled with a delicious whipped cream cheese center. Light, airy and perfectly spiced, this dessert is our new go-to for fall. A simple sponge cake gets an autumn makeover with just a dab of pumpkin puree and cinnamon-adding the perfect amount of color and flavor. Fill it with more pumpkin puree, our whipped cream cheese filling, chocolate or a mixture of all for a dessert that everyone will be asking you the recipe for. Learn how to make it with our online pastry school chef in this recipe video.
Pumpkin Sponge Cake Ingredients
½ cup egg yolks
1 ½ oz sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 tbsp cinnamon
5 oz cake flour sifted
¼ cup egg whites
1 ½ oz sugar
*Powdered sugar for dusting
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cup heavy cream
½ cup sugar
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light in color, add the pumpkin and cinnamon. Gently fold in the cake flour and set aside.
2. Whip the egg whites to a soft peak and gently fold into the batter mixture. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and carefully spread the mixture over the parchment. Bake at 350F degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until the cake starts to brown. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.
3. While sponge cake bakes, make the filling. Whip the cream and sugar together. In a separate bowl, cream the cream cheese and then fold in the whipped cream.
3. Invert the cake and peel off the parchment, spread the filling evenly over the cake and trim off the edges. Roll and then refrigerate until set.
5. When set, remove from fridge and cut to desired thickness and arrange on a plate or tray. Make the topping. Combine the rum, brown sugar and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Heat over medium low until it begins to bubble. **Be careful when heating alcohol on a stovetop because it can ignite** Add pecans and let cool slightly before garnishing the pumpkin roll.