How To Make A Heart-Shaped Triple Chocolate Cake
We’re pulling out all the stops for this incredible Valentine’s Day dessert for two. This rich and decadent chocolate upon chocolate upon chocolate dessert is luxury in every way possible. Starting with a heart shaped chocolate cake, we then fill it with a fluffy chocolate Chambord mousse and, if that isn’t enough for you, dress it up head to toe with a chocolate ganache. As you can probably tell, this dessert is pastry extravagance at its finest.
So, give your sweetheart something special this Valentine’s Day and learn how to make this triple chocolate heart-shaped cake in our online cooking class. Nothing says “thank you” and “I love you” better than this triple chocolate threat!
Heart Shaped Chocolate Cake
1. Line the heart shaped molds with Devil’s food cake (see below recipe)
2. Place the raspberries on top of the cake and fill the mold with the chocolate mousse (recipe below).
3. Place a layer of cake on top and refrigerate until set of freeze.
4. In the meantime, make the ganache (recipe below).
5. Once cake has chilled, unmold the set cake and place on pouring rack with a sheet pan underneath. Pour the ganache over the cake until it is completely covered.
6. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until the ganache is set.
7. Remove the cake from the pouring rack with a warm spatula and plate with whip cream, raspberries, strawberries and heart shaped shortbread cookies.
Devil’s Food Cake
12 oz cake flour
2 oz cocoa
¼ oz salt
¾ oz baking powder
¼ oz baking soda
7 oz shortening
1 lb sugar
8 oz skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz skim milk
8 oz eggs
1. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the shortening and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes, scrape down and mix for 2 more minutes.
3. Add the sugar and the first amount of milk and mix on low for 3-5 minutes, scraping down the bowl to be sure all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Add the remaining milk and eggs in two stages scraping down the bowl often. 5. For 10 inch cakes bake at 360 degrees for about 35 minutes until the cake springs back and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
12 oz. chocolate
2 oz sugar
2 cups heavy cream
2 gelatin leaves
2 tablespoons Chambord (optional)
1. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie or double boiler.
2. Soak the gelatin in cold water and set aside.
3. In another bain marie, whisk the eggs and sugar to sabayon stage and remove from the heat. Add the soaked gelatin leaves and then the Chambord.
4. Fold the chocolate in gently and stir occasionally until cool
5. Whisk the cream to medium peaks and fold into the mixture. Pipe mousse into cake lined mold and refrigerate until firm.
10 oz chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
1. Boil the cream and pour over the chopped chocolate, let set for 1 minute and then stir until the chocolate is dissolved.